Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It is A THANKLESS JOB sometimes

A certain experience has made me go off my normal track. Bear with me. Its been10 days since I joined my hospital in Bangalore. Surgery is the dept where you will get the most disgusting aspect off medical life, none more so than a diabetic ulcer. Gangrenous dead tissue, bad smelling pus that causes you to gag, rotting tissue, which are infested with maggots and make even the toughest of people throw up. Along with other wards this ward was part of my duty roster. I made it a point to talk with the attenders of the patients as the have the toughest time there. One particular boy is making me write this. 12 years old and taken the adult responsibility of looking after his grandfather who has one leg already cut off because of the disease.

It seems cruel but the fact is many people hide or escape taking care of diabetic patients even if they are family. This little chap though does not shirk his duty. The tenderness with which he takes care of dada is absolutely heart-warming. He does not hesitate to help change the dressing, he cleans the old mans urine if his bladder fails, he gives him a sponge bath daily and does not for a single moment tell that he rather have fun in his holidays (its summer holidays in school people). And to this gem off a boy I have to explain that we have to cut of the other foot.

Sometimes it is a thankless job being a doctor. I could feel my stomach turning when he tries to hide his tears, keep a brave and asks, “ pair katne ke badh acha honge kya”. patting his was all I could do as I thought of all the complications of the procedure flooded my head. It is not easy to tell a 12 year old the chances are too slim. It was the worse when I spoke the truth and saw the tears he tried to hide so bravely materialise. IT IS A THANKLESS JOB SOMETIMES

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete