Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Super sunday

Another Sunday. Day to laze, relax, clean up and all those stuff. Basically a day of no work. But common sense will tell you that its not the case for doctors. I mean patients can’t tell their hernias to just stay put cause it’s a Sunday. Its worse in the PHC (primary health care centre for those who still dint figure it out) cause the people who come are daily wage earners and cant afford to get their illness cured till it’s a holiday.

Sad state of health in this country aside this situation means we guys were kept pretty busy on Sundays. So in a cranky mood I enter the opd(you would be cranky too if u had to get up early Sunday morning). The patient was a worker from the building adjacent to my dorm. He complained of feeling too much HEAT in his body.????

Now this is a concept familiar to everyone except allopathic doctors. There is no literature anywhere about heat in body (its not fever so don’t confuse it). But every layman knows mango, curds chapattis cause your body to heat up (their in-depth knowledge bout heat and foods leave professors of thermodynamics and dieticians flummoxed). All is fine except the problem is there is not bloody treatment for it in our texts.

I mean no text reads chapter 420. “Heat due to foods is treated by miracle drug XYZ”. Hesitating to tell the patient that I don’t know the treatment for this (I remembered my first day and I swear to god id kill myself if he had suggested fair and lovely) I opened my mouth to talk when he did the thing patients here are such an expert at doing. He suggested the treatment. (These patients diagnose the disease and suggest the treatment, we are just there cause we can write the prescription. MBBS: Mr Big Bodied Stenographer is what we are).

Jokes aside his treatment for heat was TT injection. And he used logic for it. He said if you get Tetanus you become weak.. Heat makes us weak. TT can cure tetanus so he wanted TT for heat…. (my brain is still trying to process that logic but am pretty sure thats what he said). Gave him the TT (don’t look down on me for giving unnecessary injection, cause if had not he would have done something more unsafe like pushing ice up his behind to cool himself.). And continued my awesome Sunday. the joy of being a doc is unparalleled.


Ciao next to talk about Mondays injection disaster……..

No comments:

Post a Comment