Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mondays injection disaster

Ok so I said it would be Monday’s injection disaster but I waited till Thursday to put it up. Well I am a junior doc and busy is my schedule. Anyways another lovely day it was in the rural posting. A heavy breakfast (yeah we did get good breakfast in the village posting) got us started off for the week. Monday mornings are usually silent owing to most people getting cured on Sunday their free day. Some of our regulars, owing to the fact that they were jobless, preferred the quiet of Monday mornings to the rush of our Sundays.

So in walks our RHD patient. Nice 50-year-old man who is of the strong opinion that none of us new people know how to give injections. He voices that opinion pretty loudly too. And for our luck he needed fortnightly injections of penicillin. Looking forward to another sound scolding I load up the penicillin when one of my colleagues lets call him Dr.Do Little (he was the laziest guy I have seen) offers to give the injection. Never look a gift horse in the mouth I say and happily hand over the injection to him and walk away.

Dr Do puts attaches a new needle to the syringe. With grace swabs the patient, pokes the needle and is all ready to administer the drug. What Dr Do failed to do was attach the syringe to the needle tightly with the result that the not a drop of the drug enters the patient but instead serves to wet the bed he is sleeping on as the drug splashes out.

I snigger and wait for the patient to run of his mouth about these people who come to learn. “ Novu elle. Neva chanage koduthira.” (There was no pain. You give it well) was what the patient uttered. “Bull shit” was what I uttered. Now doctor Do little quickly balances the advantages of re giving the injection against just allowing things to be (meaning patient has missed one dose) and with typical doctors efficiency pulls the needle out and asks the patient to come after 15 days.

Like a dumb duck all I could say was QUACK QUACK. (Pun intended)…

No comments:

Post a Comment